Author Topic: Research Equipment  (Read 24071 times)

Offline Tony

Research Equipment
« on: April 24, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
What video cameras, night-vision, or infrared equipment is best for this type of field research?
What do you guys recommend?
I asked this question to MUFON last year and got a list of equipment totaling over $20 K (over the top in my mind).
I am looking for portable equipment that I can take in my backpack just to document what I see (not to make a film production).

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • www.skinwalkerranch.org
Re: Research Equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »
any new sony handicam that has the widest digital zoom possible and night shot capabilities.  I recommend either a hard drive capable device.  One major thing is you want a recorder that does not give off light from the lcd screen.  recommend powerful green laser pointer, complex headlight, walkie talkies (encoded if possible), digital voice recorder olympus, powerful spotting scope, trifield meter (emf meter), sturdy comfortable boots, and a willingness to take risks.

Offline TwoCrows

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on both intent and conditions Tony.  Are you going alone?  What are your time constraints?  Perhpas most important, what type of research are you talking about?  If I'm doing a cryptozoology expedition, I'll carry trail cams and other outdoors equipment if I'm staying in the bush.  On the other hand, a trail cam's not a lot of good if you're hoping to catch ufos or orbs in the sky.

Offline Hero

• HEROparanormal
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »
I agree with Skinwalker, in my opinion simplicity is key. Take only what you NEED and nothing more. Better to be fast with the gear you have, than to have all the gear in the world that you can't get to in time. To catch most worthwhile footage you have to be fast on the draw since you never know when its going to happen. Make sure your mobility is unburdened, and as Skinwalker said, the importance of footwear can not be ignored. Although I would love to have everything with me at all times, its just not plausible in the field. I have personally had to set a limit on myself. I limit mysel to a maximum of three items at any given time. I pick the three items I can't research without given the scenario and it seems to always work out for best. I rarely if ever miss the other items. Although its easy to spend 20k on gear, Its not about having all that gear with you at all times. Just what works for me in my personal opinion. I realize it may not work for everyone, as different researchers have different approaches and that's what makes us unique. We are all just trying to get this down to a science that works for us individually. Tony, hope it helps.

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 06:51:26 PM »
Here is a list of must have equiptment.  However like Hero said, we've learned that less is better.  DO NOT LUG a million little devices around with you, you are much better off being flexable with main essential equiptment tailored to the paranormal theme for which you are hunting.  For example deer cams for big foot and other sensor perimeter alarm devices, even thermal.... night vision and recording devices for ufos, emf meters for ghosts... keep it simple and light is the key and have the right equiptment for the right job!

http://www.google.com/products?q=laser+pointer+green+-key+-keychain+-red&scoring=p&lnk=pruser&price1=&price2=50

http://www.google.com/products?q=yukon+digital+ranger&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=8IvUS9nHDoGBlAeOxYntDA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQrQQwAA

http://www.google.com/products?q=portable+%2B+dvr+%2B+lcd+%2B+-monitor&cat=222&show=dd&lnk=pruser&price1=100&price2=200

http://www.google.com/products?q=spotting+scope&cat=1695&scoring=p&lnk=pruser&price1=49&price2=300

http://www.google.com/products?q=digital+recorder+olympus&scoring=p&price1=35.00&price2=70.00&lnk=prsugg&show=dd

http://www.google.com/products?q=trifield+meter&show=dd&scoring=p&lnk=pruser&price1=40&price2=150

http://www.google.com/products?q=spot+light+candlepower&aq=f

http://www.google.com/products?q=encrypted+channel+walkie&lnk=pruser&price1=65&price2=150

http://www.google.com/products?q=portable+radio+scanner&lnk=pruser&price1=50&price2=100

http://www.google.com/products?q=headlight+flashlight+red+-reading&aq=f

Offline Tony

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:09:04 AM »
Skinwalker, Hero and TwoCrows -
Thank you very much for your insights and guidance!
Your comments were helpful.  I will go slow upgrading gear and will focus only on what I need.

Offline TwoCrows

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:50:02 AM »
No problem Tony, glad that it helps.  Lots of good points made in this thread but I'd like to add another factor.

Do your best to be aware of what the potential difficulties are for any given investigation.  It easy in some situations to do a recon of your investigation area.  When I do haunted locations, I always try to tour the area during the day.
Frankly, if I'm doing a cryptid investigation in the deep woods, I make sure that I'm armed.  I didn't always have this philosophy and over the years I had a few close calls including being charged by a pack of wild hogs and a close call with a mountain lion.  Doing a lot of investigations out west, the latest issue has become drug dealers.  Meth labs are being set up in the backwoods, in abandoned buildings and out of the backs of cars. Those guys would rather shoot you and forget it so it's common sense to try to be prepared.  Not that I want to get into a shoot out with anybody!

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:02:17 AM »
Frankly, if I'm doing a cryptid investigation in the deep woods, I make sure that I'm armed.

good point and I recommend as well for all potentially dangerous cryptozoological expeditions.  Arm your self against wild animals both known and unknown.  However I recommend against carrying weapons of any sort outside of this field (crypto), including ufo and ghost hunting.

Offline TwoCrows

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »
Yes, has I stated, it's important to be aware of the situation and area.  For the most part, cryptid investigations seem to be the ones with the most hazards in terms of animal/human threats.  At this point I also reccomend being prepared if you're going into an abandoned building.  We investigated a ghost town a few months ago that we had scouted during the day.  That night there were meth cookers set up there so we got the hell out.  I've had other investigators tell me tales of running into squatters in old buildings and ghost towns so you just never know.  If you chose to be armed however, I strongly reccommend that you receive proper training first.

UFO investigations and Haunted spots are not areas that you generally need to worry about these kind of saftey precautions.  Of course, we all always get premission to investigate private property so there are no concerns there either.

Offline Tony

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 03:05:33 AM »
Here is a link to the BFRO Website report on the advantages and disadvantages for FLIR devices vs. Night vision devices.
I thought they did a pretty good job summarizing when it is appropriate to use each tool.
They have a few YouTube video demos of FLIR devices.
Plus, the main story is the capture of a bigfoot signature in a FLIR unit in New Mexico this year.
Also, they do make recommendations on the latest FLIR and NV devices.
These are expensive at $4K but at least we know what the best recommended gear is.

It sure would have been neat to use the FLIR unit to see those bushes at night where the barking dogs appear to have been hanging around all night.

http://www.bfro.net/news/los_alamos_footage.asp

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 10:49:54 PM »

Offline Kryptid

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 03:28:08 AM »
I don't want to make necro-ing old topics a habit, but most of these are pretty old here. If this is against the rules just let me know and I will not do it again.

If possible, I would recommend carrying two cameras if you have at least one other person accompanying you on your trip. Split up and watch the same basic area of land and sky at a good distance from one-another. That way, if any orbs or entities show up and both of you are able to record it simultaneously, then triangulation can be used to determine certain parameters about the target. It would be interesting to use such a technique to determine the distance, size and speed of the creatures/lights.

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »
UNlike every other forum, i personally LIKE opening up old topics.  I never understand why admins have policies against this.  As new people join we can add substance to old exciting topics.

Offline Kryptid

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:10 AM »
That's a comforting thought, thank you.

Offline tronus

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »
What video cameras, night-vision, or infrared equipment is best for this type of field research?
What do you guys recommend?
I asked this question to MUFON last year and got a list of equipment totaling over $20 K (over the top in my mind).
I am looking for portable equipment that I can take in my backpack just to document what I see (not to make a film production).

Tony,

I presume you have already been and back from your planned expedition?  How did it go?

tronus