Author Topic: Questions about observing and viewpoints  (Read 7092 times)

Offline SLGHS

• The Salt Lake Ghost Hunters Society
Questions about observing and viewpoints
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
Hey all,
After visiting the ranch for the first time this past weekend, I am really eager to return again soon and to do a more extensive and timely observation of the area and skies.  My wife, friend and myself were all a little nervous about going on the tribal land to the observational viewpoint but were happy to have no incidents with the tribal police or any other visitors.  Perhaps the 6 inches of snow on the ground made them think of us as nuts.  Anyways, we drove all around the Hill Top Road, the 1500 East loop around the ranch, to the 3500 South stretch to eventually hook back up with the 7500 East/Farm to Market Road.  We visited the East gate twice and were still novices and missed out on the south gate.  We did get some killer panoramic pictures of the valley as a whole from the Hill Top Road observation point.  Interestingly enough, at the post at the observation point, there was what appeared to be a cow and an elk or perhaps two cows that looked to be recently killed and most of the flesh removed.  This could have been something hit on the road and preserved by the cold and snow, but made an even more interesting and smelly experience.
Well my questions are these: If the observation point is indeed on the tribal property and the police have been known to give some grief for being up there and a large majority of the land in the valley is private property, where is a great place to do nightime and observation for long periods of time?  The dog in the house nearest to the gate was anything but welcoming.  I have never seen any animal charge a car with the ferocity as that dog did and i am unsure if its a safe and non-imposing practice to camp out near the east gate.  Is the south gate any better? If there is a better place that you all have used for observation for hours or during the night where you havent been hassled, I would greatly appreciate any information you have.
On a last note, we had a crazy encounter with a black dog on our second trip to the East gate.  It was not there the first visit but on the second visit, it, like the dog nearest to the gate, rushed the car barking and keeping a very fast pace.  The interesting thing was that when we were departing down the 2500 South road, the black dog was sitting in the middle of the road, and my wife swears on her life, the second time that we passed the dog, it was bigger, bearing its teeth angrily, and had incredibly yellow eyes.  A cracy end to a very fun trip.
Any information about where to observe would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks all!
SLGHS

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • www.skinwalkerranch.org
Re: Questions about observing and viewpoints
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:10:34 AM »
you saw the dog at the south gate?!?  if so it likely wasnt a normal dog.  The dogs by the East gate are the neighbors dogs.  They are all known to rush the house and attack people who park near the gate.  they are NOT even related to Bigelows security.  They are some mean dogs and you'd be best to carry some pepper spray for your next visit.   It is legal to part OFF of the road near the gate, likely expect to be harassed but you've broken no laws.  You should be fine to park at the viewing spot (ufo hill) for long periods of time without any intervention.  I doubt you would even be ticketed.  The bigelow security team may drive by and write down your liscense plate num however. 

i'm curious about that dog, also if you go to www.heroparanormal.com he has some recent photos of the bulletproof wolf!  These wolf sightings are now becoming common place around the ranch!

Offline SLGHS

• The Salt Lake Ghost Hunters Society
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 04:19:01 AM »
You arent kidding when you mention the dogs at the east gate.  I swear I was going to run them over; especially with snow on the road.  The dog that had the yellow eyes was indeed black and was incredibly furry but was pretty average sized, like a 60 pound dog.  It was not tall and it wasnt misproportional.  It really seemed to bear its large teeth and had yellow eyes and essentially b-line it right for my car.  I was more scared about the car slipping out and running it over and all in all, it was way bizzare.  The reason why I ask about locations to look at the ranch is because I am a public school teacher and if I get a ticket, I have to report it.  I get a tiny bit uneasy about tickets and getting my lic num taken down.  Are there any good sites on the west road (Hill Top/4500 E) or on the south side of the ranch (3500 So.)? 
Other than the cow and elk carcasses, there wasnt too much that we observed.  We wanted to make it out there and finally see it and made it to be more of a day trip.  We maybe watched and listened for about an hour and a half because of the new storm that just hit it and it was dang cold.
Thanks for the info and help.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
SLGHS

Offline terro

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
I am always a bit cautious when it comes to wolf photos.  Although it is said that there are no wolves in that area of UT if you read in chapter four of the book it describes how  grey wolves were transplanted into Yellowstone and central Idaho in 1995.  In 02 and 04 these wolves were spotted around Vernal and one was caught in a trap in Ogden UT.  Granted it had been 70 years sense a wolf had been spotted in the surrounding areas of the ranch and the bullet proof and other wolf incidents happened well before the grey wolves were planted in Yellowstone and Idaho making it very odd.  But a recent picture of a wolf taken near the ranch that is not anything other than a wolf, I tend to be a bit reserved in calling it "the bulletproof wolf".  It is possible and more than likely just a wolf.

SLGHS, thank you for posting up your report, I think it's great that you got out there even if nothing over the top happened.  Did you notice any human activity at the ranch?  Were there cars parked there like people were living and working there?  Thanks for sharing put up some pics if you can.

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
here is the recently taken photo

Offline Kami-Megami

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »
That thing looks huge! Unless the trees are smaller than they seem.

Offline Nas

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
here is the recently taken photo

Hero really needs a better camera.

Offline OrbsAllOver

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:12:25 AM »
I agree with NAS lol.

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:24:23 AM »
he's got a really expensive camera dunno why these pics look like hell.  I think they may have been taken with his blackberry or iphone.

Offline terro

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:53:44 AM »
I  know very little about wolves, is it huge?  It doesn't look any bigger than i would expect an average wolf to look like.  In the book it describes the size as up to Shermans chest and tall enough to have to lower its head to look in the wife's car, so I am picturing something the size of a pony.

Offline skinwalker

• Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 05:42:43 PM »
spoke with ryan he took the picture with his blackberry...arrrrgh.   he said he got out of the car to take the photo and then quickly retreated as the animal(?) seemed to target him suspeciously.

Offline Kami-Megami

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:11:12 PM »
That isn't the reaction of a normal wolf. They would run, even if it was hungry which wouldn't be very likely with all the wildlife around.

Offline OrbsAllOver

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »
iam agreeing with terro my pitbulls look bigger then that! lol.

Offline OrbsAllOver

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
maybe its a coyote i now we got them in the area hear them everynight behind my house!

Offline OrbsAllOver

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
cept this is a closer veiw found similarties dont u think?